Well, the Internet has undoubtedly become a necessary part of our lives. It is hard to imagine living without the Internet. It is a great way to not only stay connected with the rest of the world but also allows you faster communication across the globe.
For many people, living without the Internet is not imaginable under normal circumstances. They might have their reasons, due to which they do not want to live without the Internet for a single moment. The world has become a global village and almost all the habitable parts of the world get their fair share of Internet Connectivity.
Yet, there are those among us who cannot or do not want to spend their lives in the urban environment. There are numerous people in the USA, that have adapted boating as a hobby. It is a great way to connect with nature itself and enjoy the best it has to offer.
However, communication is still important and you might need the Internet on the boat. If you ask, why would anyone need the internet on a boat? There are several possibilities that one might require to have a stable Internet connection on a boat. Some of the most probable possibilities for a person to require internet on a boat are:
- For Work: In these modern times of advancement of technology, things are getting done virtually through the Internet. So, if you are the person whose job requires you to stay connected to check mails, or to be aware of the circumstances at all times. You might require to have an internet connection on a boat, either it is for leisure and holidays or to live on a boat.
- For Communication: Most people require to have an active internet connection on their boats to stay connected as there is least cellular reception in some distant areas. The Internet provides a great and faster mode of communication on the boats.
- For Leisure: There are some people among us, who spend their holidays on a cruise or a boat in some distant river. For such people, leisure is important and to simple Netflix and Chill, they require to have internet connection on the boat. There are also those people who have made their homes in these boats and would like to enjoy some entertainment through the Internet as there is no TV, or other forms of entertainment available.
So, if you have any of the above goals and want to have an Internet connection on your boat, there are several options to choose from. These options might vary based on your requirements and needs and you can get the best options that suit your needs.
How To Get Internet on a Boat
Some of the viable options to have the Internet on a boat are:
1. Cellular Network
Most of the mobile companies provide the option to connect through 4G internet on your mobile devices on your regular sim card. This allows you to not only use the internet on your phone, but you can also connect some of the other devices through a WIFI hotspot and share your internet connection. This method suits best for those who are going to be on a boat for relatively shorter periods.
Also, there are certain drawbacks of using Cellular Network to have Internet on the boat. But before that, let’s not forget the positive side of it. This method is the most cost-efficient as you do not have to buy some extra equipment or to get a separate contract for it. All you will need is an existing mobile connection that supports a 4G network and an internet-enabled mobile phone.
However, Cellular Network is only an option for those who are going to be around the populated area in a bot as signal reception might be affected in distant areas. This also has some data caps and speed limits. Hence, Cellular Network on a boat is only an option for you if you require the internet for light usage like staying connected or to use Social Media. To make the decision easier for you, you can have a look at Pros and Cons for Cellular Network as well
- Does not require any extra equipment
- Easy to install and operate.
- Relatively weaker signal strength
- Only works around populated areas
- Data Caps
- Cannot be used for work/Leisure.
2. Mobile BroadBand/Remote WIFI
With the advancement in the field of Telecommunication, Mobile BroadBand is a widely appreciated and endorsed technology. It is a form of BroadBand internet that does not require connectivity through Wires. Mobile Broadband cuts the disadvantages associated with a cellular network and outperforms it in every terminology. It is simply another form of the cellular network but with a better and improved utility options.
To start on the positive side, mobile broadband has higher data caps so you can use it freely without having to worry about consuming all your internet data available. It also covers a great deal of places and has relatively strong signals. Also, the speed undoubtedly is far better than the cellular network on your mobile phone because it does not have to deal with any Voice calls or text messages. The pros and cons can be classified as
- Faster Internet Speed
- More Data Caps
- Stable Internet Connection
- You might need to purchase a separate device/plan
- Can get expensive than cellular network
- Does not work in distant areas
3. Satellite Internet
However, if you are an adventurist who likes to push their limits and want to go on weeks/months-long cruises far away from the habitable places, the above options will not work for you. These options are only available where there is the reception of mobile network signals. Hence, you will require a satellite Internet connection over such areas. The satellite internet connection virtually works in every part of the globe, even where is no reception of any other network. This is the most advanced method and will cost you a pretty hefty amount if you would like to go for this option.
- Reception in remote areas
- No network disturbances
- Good Internet Speed
- The only con for Satellite Internet is the cost associated with it