The title may seem a bit absurd and unbelievable to some people out there. But it is quite possible to get WIFI without an internet provider. If you are on a budget or you got some other reasons, in this article we are going to shed some light on all the possible ways you can get your hands on WIFI without having to involve an Internet Service Provider.
The topic is pretty broad and there are certain possibilities involved with the associated topic. To start with, there are two choices as to how someone would want to get WIFI without an internet provider.
We are going to start with the two major choices on getting WIFI without internet providers and then elaborate on each of the possible methods you can use according to your need that you can use to get WIFI without a service provider. The two major options to get WIFI without Internet provider would be:
- You get your internet from your ISP, but you want to convert it to WIFI without involving your Internet Provider.
- You want to get your hands on free WIFI, without involving any Internet Provider at all.
Each of these choices will have several methods that you can choose to get WIFI without the Internet provider. To start with, let’s check the possibilities to get the WIFI without involving ISP if you already have an active internet connection.
How To Get WiFi Without Internet Provider
If you don’t have an active Internet connection
This is the trickiest, yet the best part of this article. If you don’t have access to an Internet connection and still want to enjoy the perks of WIFI, it is not quite impossible. There are ways that will allow you to do that. There are numerous public networks that you can be connected to and enjoy WIFI connectivity. These public WIFI networks are usually installed in public places like train stations, bus stops, coffee shops and parks. Hence, if you live in close proximity to any of these and are in luck, you might get connected with these public networks.
If you are unable to find any such networks in your vicinity, there are high chances that you might get access to a private internet connection around you that you can use. Keep an eye on the networks for restaurants, cafes or such places as they usually keep common passwords like 12345 or their brand names.
If you already have an internet connection and want to have WIFI without involving Internet provider.
So, you might already have an active internet connection that may be wired or cellular. You want to convert it to WIFI to be able to use it on several devices, yet you don’t want to get your Internet provider involved due to complications, and of course the costs associated with the process. There are several choices that you will have depending on the type of Internet connection you have. The most common networks that provide internet are cellular network and wired networks also known as DSL or Broadband internet providers. So, to start with the first choice, let’s see the options you have to get WIFI without an Internet provider if you are over a cellular network.
If you are on the cellular network and want to have WIFI without internet providers, there are two choices for you. These two choices will enable you to enjoy the perks of WIFI without having to involve your internet provider. These choices are:
- Using a smartphone with hotspot option: Today, almost all latest smartphones have the option to enable hotspot that allows you to share the internet connection on your device over the WIFI. This option is great for you if you have a cellular network that allows internet connectivity and you want to share it over WIFI with other devices without having to worry about extra costs. However, it got its drawbacks like relatively slower internet speed. You can only connect a limited number of devices over such a WIFI network that are supported through your smartphone. Also, there are data caps on the cellular plan that might cause a hassle for you.
- Using a WIFI tethering device that supports SIM: There are some pocket devices available in the market that support any unlocked SIM card to convert their internet connection over WIFI. If you want to have a stable internet connection through WIFI and don’t want to get your internet provider involved, this will be the best option for you. These devices turn your cellular internet to the WIFI so you can use it over multiple devices at once, without having to involve your Internet Provider.
Since you are clear now on how to get WIFI if you are using a cellular network and do not want to get your Internet Provider involved. Let’s have a look at if you are using a wired internet connection and you want to get WIFI without an Internet provider.
In case that you are using a wired Internet and you want to have WIFI without wanting to involve your Internet Provider, your choices are limited. Obviously, if you involve your Internet provider, you might have to pay extra for the service and also it will cost you quite an amount for the router they will be providing you. The options you have are:
- Using your Router: There are WIFI routers available in the market that work on almost all the networks. There is a built-in modem with a module to convert your DSL or Broadband internet to WIFI. The installation is pretty simple and all you have to do is install a router in your wired connection and configure the settings. However, such installations might be illegal and not authorized by your wired Internet provider and you might have to face consequences for doing so.
Using your laptop to get Hotspot: This option is similar to having a cellular network and using the hotspot feature. Windows 10 have the option by default to enable your laptop with WIFI to be able to share the internet connection acting as a WIFI provider. So, if you don’t want to face any consequences, this might be the perfect option for you. However, the drawbacks are obvious of not having dedicated hardware on your laptop of a hardware router that emits strong signals and amplifies the speed of the Internet.