The NETGEAR Nighthawk is a dual-band router that supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bandwidths for a more stable and consistent connection. Depending on your preferences and internet activities, you can connect to either band.
Having said that, since many users have asked about turning off 5G on a NETGEAR nighthawk router, we assume you’ve come here for a similar reason. As a result, in this article, we will show you how to turn off 5g on a NETGEAR nighthawk router step by step.
How to Turn Off 5G On Netgear Nighthawk Router?
Your bandwidth preferences are determined by the type of user you are. If you are a low bandwidth user who uses the internet for browsing, you should stick to the 2.4GHz bandwidth because it has the best range. However, if you are a heavy gamer or an HDTV streamer, 5GHz bandwidth will be ideal for you. Because many people prefer to use the 2.4GHz band if you have sent your router to the 5GHz band and want to return it to the 2.5GHz band to set it up for a 2.4GHz compatible device, follow the steps below.
- Access the web browser from your connected device and enter http://www.routerlogin.net. In the address bar.
- A login page will appear. Use your network credentials to log in to the admin page.
- Note: if you have not configured your network credentials then the default username is “admin” and the password is “password” by default.
- Once you have logged in to the page, navigate to the Advanced option and select the Advanced Setup option.
- Next, click on the Wireless Settings and you will be displayed a settings page.
- Scroll up until you find the wireless bandwidth that you wish to turn off.
- In this case, we are turning off the 5GHz band so we will select the 5GHz (a/n/ac/ax) option.
- Next, select the Enable Wireless Router Radio and uncheck it.
- Similar goes for turning on the 5GHz bandwidth, you can check the Enable Wireless Router Radio in this case.
- Click on the Apply button to save the changes.
Using the same procedure, you can toggle the wireless bandwidth on and off. One thing to keep in mind is that once you’ve turned off/on your wireless bandwidth settings via the admin web page, you can only turn them back on through the web interface. Therefore the Wi-Fi on/off button will be of no use once you have performed the procedure via the web interface
Since most people have asked about the point of disabling the higher frequency band as it transmits data at a faster rate, it is stated that despite the 5GHz band providing greater data speeds but the range or coverage of your router decreases. As higher frequency bands are unable to penetrate through structures their range decreases. This is why it is ideal to stay at 2.4GHJz bandwidth so maximum coverage and range can be utilized.