Getting home after a hectic day at work calls for a movie night, right? However, if you crash on the couch only to find the Spectrum remote won’t change channels, it’s going to be a frustrating evening, for sure.
But don’t panic. You can fix it quickly and easily by following these simple troubleshooting fixes.
In this article, we are sharing with you tried and troubleshooting tips for fixing a Spectrum remote that won’t change the channels. So, let’s have a look!
Spectrum Remote Won’t Change Channels
1) Cable Button
So, you are not able to use your favorite channel for movies because the remote won’t let you? Well, this is a problem that is easily dealt with.
- In this case, you need to press the cable button on the remote and use the channel +/- buttons to change the channels.
- You can also enter the channel number for changing the channel, making sure your remote is pointed at the receiver.
2) Channel Number
If you are trying to access the channel with a single-channel value (such as 6) but cannot change the channel, we suggest adding the zero before the channel number.
- For instance, if you want to access channel 6, type “06” on the remote, and the channel should open up.
- Also, when you enter the channel number, hit the enter button, too, to be on the safe side.
In some cases, when you cannot change channels using the remote, it’s because the receiver is at fault.
- You need to press the buttons available on the front panel of the receiver to see if it changes the channels (if it does, the problem is with the remote).
- Also, make sure the power light on the Spectrum receiver is switched on.
- You must also make sure the receiver is not blocked by furniture or other things that might get in the way and block the signal from transferring from the remote to the receiver.
- If the signal is blocked, the remote won’t work properly. In the same vein, the remote will only change channels if you are within a 20ft range of the receiver.
When the remote batteries are not in the best condition, the performance will be negatively impacted as well.
So, if you are not able to change the channels using your Spectrum remote, try replacing the old batteries with new ones. Often this will fix the problem.
For your Spectrum remote to work correctly, it must be programmed properly.
- To make sure this is done, carefully check the setup instructions for your Spectrum remote.
- Once you open the instructions, you are advised to tally the programming codes.
- Make sure the equipment is installed using the correct programming codes so it can change the channels as it should.
6) Correct Remote
There are some people who tend to use multiple receivers because they want to access different channels.
So, if you have multiple receivers, make sure you are using the correct remote.
All in all, use the right combination of remote and receiver to access the channels.
7) Fluorescent Lights
The receivers and remote (by Spectrum) create a connection through infrared signals.
However, if there are fluorescent lights around, these can interfere with the infrared signals. In this case, you need to switch off the fluorescent light.
You can also follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Try to use the remote from an angle (you will need to angle the receiver slightly)
- Don’t position the receiver under the center of the TV (if it’s currently placed in the center, change the position)
- Mask the infrared receiver part of the receiver with scotch tape to prevent it from receiving infrared signals (this might reduce the remote’s range as well, but the remote will at least be able to change the channels)
If the remote is not changing the channels for you, it might be that the receiver is struggling with a minor software glitch.
In this case, you will need to reboot the receiver by taking out the power cord and waiting for 30 to 60 seconds before plugging it back in.
These troubleshooting methods should help you change channels using your Spectrum remote. However, if it’s not fixed, you will need to call Spectrum customer support for more advice and guidance.
2 thoughts on “Spectrum Remote Won’t Change Channels: 8 Fixes”
Can’t scan channels with spectrum remote
How can I change the receiver display from channel number to date?