Many people find it rather frustrating when they cannot easily access the internet while traveling or engaging in any activity outside of their homes. If you are also wondering to find an alternative to heavy data plans then we’ve got you covered. Wi-Fi hotspots are a great way to provide you free wireless internet access outside your home where you might not want to rely on mobile data too much. Therefore, if you want to find out how to use a wireless USB adapter as a Wi-Fi hotspot, this article will guide you through all the steps.
How to Use A Wireless USB Adapter As Wi-Fi Hotspot
How many times has it happened that you ran out of your data in the middle of something and now you cannot find a Wi-Fi connection outside your home? Typically many times. Therefore, if you are also finding an amazing alternative to limited data plans, then you should consider the USB adapter to provide you with a Wi-Fi hotspot anywhere everywhere you want. A Wi-Fi dongle also known as the internet stick can be easily converted into a Wi-Fi hotspot that is great for traveling
- Therefore to set up your device for windows, you need to perform the following steps
- Plug in your USB dongle to your computer.
- Access the search bar on your computer.
- In the search bar, type in ‘cmd’ and right-click it. You will see a ‘Run as Administrator option.
- Click it
- Now you will see a black window with commands similar to C\Windows\Users>
- Now you will check the availability of your machine with the Wi-Fi hotspot. This is necessary to ensure that your device supports the hosted network mode or not
- In the command prompt enter “netsh WLAN show drivers” and run to check the availability.
- You can only create a Wi-Fi hotspot if your device displays a “hosted network supported: Yes” output.
- Let’s say that your device supports the network mode. Now to create a Wi-Fi hotspot, enter the “ netsh WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=Name key=8CharacterKey” command in your cmd
- Make sure you replace the ‘Name’ with your network name and ‘8CharacterKey’ with a strong password.
- Type in “ netsh WLAN start hostednetwork” in your cmd.
- Until this step, your Wi-Fi hotspot is created using your internet stick.
- Go to the settings or the control panel on your device.
- Click the Network and Internet option. Next, select the Network and Sharing Centre.
- From the options, select the broadband Connection that you want to share.
- Go to the properties and click the Sharing Tab.
- Check the box that says “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection.
- A list of networks will be displayed in a drop-down menu. Select your Wi-Fi hotspot connection using the name you entered when creating it.
- Now your Wi-Fi hotspot is set up and discoverable.