Updated: August 24, 2014
Verizon offers a broadband Internet service that provides a high speed connection and fast download speeds. But when you take price into consideration, is it still worth what you pay for the service?
Although Verizon is well known for its broad coverage of mobile broadband with 4G LTE service in more than 500 markets in the US, like any other service you are considering, it is important to weigh your options and read the reviews before deciding on their broadband Internet service. It is no secret that Verizon services can be quite pricey. If you have several options available to you, it is important to review the plans offered by Verizon to determine whether or not you think the service is a good match for your needs.
In this article, we will take a look at the plans that Verizon offers for broadband Internet service. Plus, we will review some of the pros and cons associated with the service to help you make an informed decision.
Verizon Broadband Internet Plans
First, it is important to note that Verizon broadband Internet coverage may vary according to your location. However, when you review the services they offer on their website, you will see two different types of broadband Internet services. One type of Internet service is known as FiOS and the other is Verizon’s standard version of DSL broadband Internet services.
FiOS stands for Fiber Optic Service and is currently offered by Verizon in specific locations in the US. Because FiOS is one of Verizon’s newest services, the coverage area has gotten larger but is still not as broad as Verizon’s conventional broadband Internet services.
FiOS offers enhanced Internet speed over a fiber optic network that provides high definition access to Internet TV, as well as faster Internet browsing speeds and digital voice services. Since fiber optic offers higher speeds of data transfer, streaming media is much faster, TV picture quality is richer, and calling quality is improved.
FiOS is offered in four different plans ranging from just under $45 to $135 for the premiere speed package. The main difference in the plans is the speed of the Internet connection.
- FiOS Internet 25/25 Mbps: This plan offers download and upload speeds of up to 25 Mbps (megabits per second) for $44.99 per month. The premium installation is offered at no additional cost and the network is 100 percent fiber optic. If you choose the Double-Play package, you can get a $20 discount on your bill with a month-to-month contract for 12 months.
- FiOS Quantum Internet 50/50 Mbps: The Quantum Internet package provides download and upload speeds of up to 50 Mbps for $54.99 per month and a $20 discount on your monthly bill when you commit to a two-year contract. This package includes premium installation at no additional cost and access to a 100 percent fiber optic network. This package is ideal for households that have multiple devices connected to the network and accommodates streaming video and gaming applications.
- FiOS Quantum Internet 75/75 Mbps: This package offers download and upload speeds of up to 75 Mbps for $64.99 per month with $20 off your monthly bill when you commit to a two-year contract. This package is designed for use with gaming applications and streaming video, in addition to running other bandwidth-intensive applications.
- FiOS Quantum Internet 150/150 Mbps: This is the fastest Internet connection speed offered by Verizon with upload and download speeds of up to 150 Mbps for $134.99 per month. The plan is designed for heavy Internet users and households with an excessive number of devices connected to the network.
FiOS is not the same as cable Internet and performs at much faster data transfer rates than cable Internet. This is because fiber optic network connections have the technology to produce faster Internet speeds, as opposed to cable which involves a copper line that delivers the Internet service to your home.
DSL Broadband Internet
Verizon delivers high speed broadband Internet via a Digital Subscriber Line (DSL). DSL is Verizon’s conventional broadband Internet service that allows you to access high speed Internet from any location, regardless if you are using your home office or you are on the go.
The broadband Internet service is offered in three different plans which range from just under $20 per month to $29.99 per month. Similar to the FiOS service, the difference in the packages is the speed of data transfer. However, the FiOS service provides you with faster Internet speeds when compared to the DSL broadband Internet service.
- High Speed Internet Plan 1: This is the standard plan that provides .5 to 1 Mbps for download speeds and 384 Kbps (kilobits per second) for upload speeds at a cost of $19.99 per month. This plan also includes 9 email accounts.
- High Speed Internet Plan 2 (Enhanced): The download speeds for this plan range from 1.1 to 3 Mbps with uploads speeds of 384 to 768 Kbps for $29.99 per month. You also get access to 9 email accounts and Wi-Fi hotspot access.
- High Speed Internet Plan 3 (Enhanced): This plan offers download speeds of 3.1 to 7 Mbps with upload speeds of 768 Kbps for $29.99 per month. The difference between this plan and plan 2 is the download time is less plus, you have access to Wi-Fi hotspots and 9 email accounts.
- High Speed Internet Plan 4 (Enhanced): This plan offers download speeds of 7.1 to 15 Mbps with upload speeds of 1 Mbps for $29.99 per month. The data transfer takes less time than plan 2 and 3 and is designed for streaming video, gaming applications, and other bandwidth-intensive programs.
Although the last three plans are all offered at $29.99 per month, some of the plans are not offered in specific areas. All broadband Internet services include a wireless router and access to ESPN3.com for live online sports events. The plans also come with an Internet Security Suite and access to an online backup and data storage service. You also have access to support services that are available around the clock 24/7 and via chat, Facebook, and Twitter.
The setup and installation for the broadband Internet service is quite easy to accomplish. Here is a video to provide you with a visual demonstration of how the service works.
Verizon Broadband Internet Pros and Cons
Overall, many consumers have reported that they are satisfied with the performance of Verizon Internet services. However, here are a few pros and cons for you to consider if you are thinking about using Verizon’s services.
- Verizon keeps the plans simple yet versatile with the ability to design your own bundle of services so you get the most for your money. Broadband Internet access is also available in many locations due to the broad coverage that Verizon provides for high speed Internet access.
- In terms of the speed of data transfer, the performance is pretty good, especially if you choose one of the upper end plans.
- Verizon offers pricing that is competitive with other broadband Internet providers with a wide variety of different types of modems and wireless routers.
- You can access the Internet using their international roaming service which provides a competitive advantage over other broadband services.
- When you obtain FiOS broadband Internet access, installation is free and technical support is available around the clock 24/7.
- Depending upon the plan you choose, Verizon offers a free modem with some of the broadband Internet plans. This is an added perk that many broadband providers do not offer.
- Verizon does not require a credit check to subscribe to the DSL service. This means no one is left out when it comes to accessing high speed broadband Internet.
- When you acquire broadband Internet service from Verizon, you must commit to a contract of up to two years if you want to take advantage of some of the discount offers which some customers may find to be inconvenient.
- You must install the Internet service using Verizon’s self-installation kit shown in the video above. Although the kit is fairly easy to understand, if you are not tech savvy, it may require you to enlist the help of a friend.
- FiOS Internet may not be currently available in your local area. Installation also requires a series of steps that must be accomplished in advance. The steps include confirming that your PC meets the minimum requirements for installation and that it contains a network adapter and USB port for connectivity. Then you must schedule an appointment with an installation specialist to perform the installation and configuration.
- In order to use the DSL broadband Internet service, you are required to sign up for Verizon phone service. This means that the service may cost more than the prices we have discussed in this article.
- The upload speeds could use some improvement for the DSL broadband Internet service. They tend to be on the slow side, even for the average Internet user.
- In order to enjoy streaming video without any disruptions, you must purchase one of the upper end plans that offer faster Internet speeds.
When you look for Verizon broadband Internet services in your local area, you can easily access the Verizon website online, type in your location, and then review the plans that are available. Additionally, you should take the time to read what other customers are saying about the service in your local area as service quality may vary according to where you live.
Overall, Verizon offers high quality services without having to be locked into a lengthy contract. The company does not charge any activation fees and offers an Internet plan that does not require any contract. If you wish to terminate the service early, there are no fees for termination plus, there are no automatic price increases at specific time periods. If anything, it is worth looking into so you can compare it with other services in your local area.